Grand Affairs Group recognises the work of the following organisations

PIPA Testing Scheme For Bouncy Castles British Association of Leisure Parks, Piers and Attractions The Inflatable Play Enterprise

Inflatable World Leisure Ltd - Bouncy castle manufacture, repairs and testing - Nottinghamshire Grand Affairs Group is supported by a number of companies.  Please visit their web sites for the latest offers. Gibbons Fan Products - Fans, petrol blowers and generators


Frequently Asked Questions

Q: When I buy a unit what paperwork should I get with it?

A: Whether you buy a new or secondhand unit it should come with, any Guarantee, full operating instructions, a current inspection report and log book. If you purchase secondhand you should ask for all relevant manufacturers paperwork, previous inspection reports and the current inspection report. If there is not a current inspection report you need to allow for the cost of getting a inspection report in the purchase price. In all cases you should be provided with the user heights and numbers of users. It should also state that it has been built to BS EN 14960 (applies to all units manufactured after March 2004)  

Q: Is it a legal requirement to have all units inspected every year?

A: Yes, it is a legal requirement that all inflatable products must be annually inspected by a ‘competent person’ in order to conform with the Health and Safety At Work Act and the Provision and Use of Work Equipment Regulations (often referred to as PUWER).

Q: I have been in the industry for many years, am I a competent person?

A: No, by definition a ‘competent person’ is someone who through industry training and examinations have proven knowledge for inspecting the type of equipment being used. With inflatable play equipment the main inspection body is

the PIPA Inspection Scheme.

Q: I have purchased an inflatable direct from an overseas factory, what do I need to do?

A: You will need us to complete both a design review and initial inspection, in reality the two are completed together at this stage and we will issue you with both reports if they pass inspection.

Q: What is the difference between a competent person inspection and PIPA inspection?

A: Nothing, they are the same and PIPA inspection can only be completed by an PIPA registered inspector. The only difference is that PIPA scheme is a database of tested equipment and supported by the Health and Safety Executive.

Q: Why does a PIPA inspection cost more than a standard other safety test?

A: The actual inspection is the same and all of our testing fees include either an ITATS or PIPA certificate. The only additional costs are to pay for is the PIPA TAG (for new units)  See here.

Q: I have a castle which is two years old, can it be PIPA tagged or is this for new units only?

A: Yes all castles no matter the age can be tested and added to the register. It is important you let us know the year of manufacture.     

Q: Does a Bungee Run / Gladiator Duel need to be PIPA tagged?

A:  Not at the moment. PIPA is only concerned with inflatable's whose main purpose is bouncing and sliding, the inflatable on a bungee run or gladiator duel is considered a safety device as the main purpose of the activity and is something different. These units still need to be inspected under a standard inspection annually as this will highlight any potential problems you may have. This may change in the future.

Q: What happens if my equipment fails a test?

A: Technically the same as a car MOT, if a unit fails you should remove it from use by the general public either until the problem can be rectified or permanently. We do not carry out repairs but have a number of repair stations around the Country we recommend.

Q: What are the main reasons for a fail?

A: Obviously there are many reasons why an inflatable product could fail the standards required, the most common are listed below:

Q: How long does an inspection take?

A: For standard bouncing castles the actual initial test takes about 45 minutes, with an additional 15 minutes to complete the certification and register. For larger two part obstacle courses or activity castles this can go up to 1-2 hours for the testing. This time reduces on annual tests from year 2 onwards if equipment is well maintained by the operator

Q: How do I get my inflatable's inspected?

A: There is a full list of inspectors here but we hope you will contact us in the first instance.

Q: Where can you inspect inflatable's?

A: We normally come to you but can arrange for facilities near Leighton Buzzard

Q: What information do I need to supply?

A: Previous inspection reports, manufacturer’s instructions,PIPA tag numbers and owners manuals for every inflatable is always helpful and can save on inspection time. We keep all our customers records within our own recording system..

Q: How much will it cost?

A: There are many variables but please see here for full a guide or contact us for a quotation.

Q: What else do you inspect?

A: The inflation fans and 1 lead will be PAT tested with every inflatable, we also check all of the ground stakes for each inflatable's as these are also covered by EN 14960 regulations.

Q: Will you check all my spare leads and fans?

A: While we are there we can also PAT test all your fans and leads and there may be a small extra charge for this service. See here

Q: What items do you check for a test?

A: There are wide ranging items that we check to ensure your inflatable is ‘safe’ and ‘fit for purpose’.We have our own inspection sheet check list and you can see a copy here